UPVC doors are a popular choice for homeowners due to their durability, low maintenance, and energy efficiency. However, they are also vulnerable to a type of break-in called lock snapping, which is becoming increasingly common in the UK. This is where a burglar applies force to the cylinder of the lock, causing it to snap and allowing them to open the door. Fortunately, there is a solution: anti-snap locks.
What are anti-snap locks?
Anti-snap locks are designed to prevent lock snapping by incorporating a number of features that make it difficult for a burglar to break the lock. These features include:
- Sacrificial section: This is a weak point in the lock that is designed to break if force is applied, which prevents the rest of the lock from being damaged.
- Hardened steel: Anti-snap locks are made of hardened steel, which makes them much more resistant to drilling, picking, and other forms of attack.
- Anti-drill pins: These are pins that are designed to break when a drill bit is inserted into the lock, preventing the drill from penetrating the lock.
- Anti-pick pins: These are pins that are designed to make it difficult to pick the lock, as they are shaped in such a way that makes them hard to manipulate.
- Key control: Anti-snap locks often come with a special key that cannot be duplicated, which ensures that only authorized individuals can access the property.
Why are anti-snap locks important?
As mentioned earlier, lock snapping is becoming an increasingly common method of burglary in the UK. According to recent statistics, up to a third of all burglaries involve lock snapping, and it can take as little as 10 seconds for a burglar to gain entry to a property using this method. This is a major concern for homeowners, as it means that their homes are vulnerable to attack even if they have other security measures in place.
Anti-snap locks offer a way to prevent lock snapping and improve the overall security of a property. By making it difficult for burglars to break the lock, anti-snap locks can help to deter criminals and prevent them from gaining entry to the property. This can provide homeowners with peace of mind and help to keep their property and possessions safe.
How do I know if I need anti-snap locks?
If you have UPVC doors, it is highly recommended that you install anti-snap locks to protect your property. This is particularly important if your doors are older, as older locks are often more vulnerable to attack. Additionally, if you live in an area with a high rate of burglaries or have experienced a break-in in the past, it is important to take steps to improve the security of your home, and anti-snap locks can be a crucial part of this.
It is also worth noting that not all anti-snap locks are created equal. Some are more effective than others, so it is important to choose a high-quality lock from a reputable manufacturer. Additionally, it is important to have your locks installed by a professional locksmith, as this ensures that they are fitted correctly and will provide maximum security.
UPVC doors are a popular choice for homeowners, but they are vulnerable to lock snapping, which can leave your property and possessions at risk. Anti-snap locks offer a way to prevent this type of break-in and improve the overall security of your home. By choosing a high-quality lock from a reputable manufacturer and having it installed by a professional locksmith, you can ensure that your property is protected from this type of attack. Whether you live in an area with a high rate of burglaries or simply want to take steps to improve the security of your home, anti-snap locks are a smart investment that can provide you with peace of mind and keep your property and possessions